Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 04:24:32PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 12:31:24AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Well, having someone say "I'm going to setup and maintain an arm
> > autobuilder, have a look at http://foo.bar.org/~buildd/ where I've
> > already got it half working" versus someone saying "I don't really feel
> > comfortable doing more than one or two packages yet" seems a good start.
> > (cf, the Tasks and Skills check).
> This is not how most of us started, including you and me. And now we
> are two very active members.

Sure. No one's saying people who can only maintain a couple of lame packages
should be rejected merely because of that. Well, at least, I'm not, and I'm
fairly sure James and Joey aren't either.

> > And I mean, it'd be nice to not need to prioritise people, but we still
> > don't seem to be able to handle the volume of new maintainer applicants
> > we have effectively, so we need to do *something*.
> Uh, as far as I can see, the new maintainer team as a whole is doing fine,
> it's just the DAM bottleneck at issue here.

I'm not really sure I agree with that. Take Neal's example: he waited a
little over a month for an AM to be assigned to him, and then took ten
days to get an account. In his case, the bottleneck was AM-assignment.

> I don't think we have actually determined how many clueful, well known
> and highly trusted people we have.

We have quite a few. Most of them are too busy doing other things.

> There has never been made an acceptable public offer for this job,
> so don't make any assumptions about the amount of people that might
> be willing to do it and meet the requirements.

There wasn't a public offer for anyone to take over release management
either; I got interested in it (due to testing), and offered to help
Richard out.

The problem with making public offers is if you get a bunch of applicants,
none of whom you'd trust, and none of whom you'd feel comfortable
working with.

> You lack a clue: James and Joey are volunteers, they volunteered for the
> job. They picked up the responsibility. If they fail to perform what is
> necessary to get the job done properly, they should step aside and make room
> for other people.

You assume there are other people.

And doing AM work, knowing that everything you've done will be double
checked by someone with over three years of experience doing this, is a
different matter to doing DAM work, knowing that you and you alone are
responsible for this person getting into Debian.

Cheers,
aj

     ``Thanks to all avid pokers out there''
                       -- linux.conf.au, 17-20 January 2001