Re: Request for Sponser: The Global File System

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 07:25:31AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 10:40:48AM -0600, lewis@sistina.com wrote:
> > Let me know if you need more information or have any questions.
>
> Would love to sponsor it, but i dont have the hardware to test it, so...
>
> what kind of hardware are you running with GFS?

Actually, most of my testing is done via VMWare.  It works surprisingly well
and is much cheaper than several Fibre Channel disks and controllers.  Of
course, for real world applications this would never work, but it is decent
for testing.  Some of the other guys are using a PC with the GNBD (our network
block device) server, serving out a block device to a couple of laptops.
Again, performance is not great (due to slow PCMCIA NICs, but it works.  Of
course, ideally you want a fast Fibre Channel array and several computers with
Fibre Channel cards, and some of the testing is done with this, but I
generally don't need that kind of test setup.
(BTW, if you don't know what fibre channel is, check out
http://www.sistina.com/gfs/howtos/fibrechannel_howto/index.html )

Basic testing can be done on a single node though.  Just run the lock server
on the same machine as the GFS partition, and run it through the paces.  There
is also a nolock locking module for this kind of testing, where you don't need
a lock server (and no actual locking is done, so don't try this with multiple
GFS machines on the same GFS file system, you will corrupt your data.)

Regards,
--
AJ Lewis
Sistina Software Inc.                  Voice:  612-379-3951

Current GPG fingerprint = 3B5F 6011 5216 76A5 2F6B  52A0 941E 1261 0029 2648
Get my key at: http://www.sistina.com/~lewis/gpgkey
 (Unfortunately, the PKS-type keyservers do not work with multiple sub-keys)