Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 01:06:48PM +0100, Marek Habersack wrote:

> yes, but you can't expect all the maintainers hava a park of machines of all
> architectures. And yet, the Debian OS runs different kernels and on
> different architectures. The conclusion is obvious.
I am pretty sure that if you ask politely you can get an account on a ppc,
sparc, whatever arch you need. Several non-debian developers have an account
on our m68k box, which is more than the average dd has wrt m68k.
If you need an account on a slink/potato/woody machine, why don't you ask on
debian-devel? I have given out accounts on my university boxes and I several
others also did. So having no access to a certain hardware/debian version is
no argument here. Besides, if you just need it for building packages on
other arches, thats what the buildds are for, you do not have to care about
that, unless your package has a problem on other arches. You can be sure you
will get a bug report when that happens. Also, if you only have a slow or
non-debian box, you can (or will soon be again able to) upload source-only
packages, all compilation is done by the buildds then.

Please consider taking this discussion to one list only, or create a new list,
I think its off topic on debian-mentors (wasn't it about packaging questions?)

Christian