Re: PRE Version numbers

    Bernd> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 09:49:40AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
    >> Are you saying this is wrong for upstream source packages?

    Bernd> Yes, because we dont habe a revision in the naming sheme of
    Bernd> upstream packages and we have a clear requirment to match
    Bernd> the upstreams version exactly.

Normally pristine source code should be used, in which case the
orig.tar.gz file will never change for a given upstream version.

The fact pristine source isn't always possible points to limitations
elsewhere, eg. the source code format. Don't try to break a good
concept if the limitation lies elsewhere. Consider the implications of
not being able to mirror/cache source packages anymore without
regularly checking to make sure that it hasn't changed, as you will
not be able to rely on the version number any more.

As for the initial purpose of the thread, with respect to naming
"pre6" packages, I could come to one of the following conclusions (I
won't make an opinion here):

1. the upstream version system is broken, in which case Debian policy
(IIRC) allows you to make adjustments to the upstream version as
required.

2. that version number comparisons in Debian are broken, and
should get fixed.

I think in is down right wrong (and maybe even against policy) to mess
around with the version numbers, and confuse the distinction between
"upstream version" and "debian revision", just to get around one of
these limitations.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>