Re: [EOT, hopefully] NM flamefest

> Hi Daniel!
>
> You wrote:
>
> > I TOTALLY SUPPORT THE PROPOSAL TO ONLY HAND OUT @DEBIAN.ORG EMAILS AND
> > ACCOUNTS ON REQUEST, AND EVEN THEN, ONLY WITH A BLOODY GOOD REASON, AND
> > APPROVAL. FANTASTIC. BRILLIANT. ADOPT IT. PLEASE. I AM BEGGING YOU.
>
> I don't really see the point here. What's the advantage of giving NM's
> only the possibility to upload packages and no (at least no all of to
> all of them) an account a an email address? Will it make the NM
> process easier? No. Will it make it faster? No. It will only create more
> bureaucracy. Futhermore, it will only increase the distance (in the
> amount of work being done as well as in everyone heads) between the
> so-called Senior Developer and the average developers.
>
> Can you please tell me _why_ it is a problem right now that NM's get an
> account and an email address? Are there people in the NM queue (or
> people that have become DD recently) who only wanted to become DD's for
> the foo@debian.org and the account and do not want to contribute to
> Debian? I doubt it. And even if it were the case, it would mean we have
> to change the NM process, not creating a `lesser' and a `senior'
> developer.

Basically, I would prefer the normal way of handing out both addresses and
accounts. Especially as I only have one machine - my dev one - which is a
Pentium running sid + my various other breakages. So it'd be nice to have a
potato/woody/ppc/sparc/<insert whacky architecture here> machine to test on.
And the email address, even just as a forwarder, to separate personal from
Debian.

But, in reality, it's the only way to shut people like Ben Collins up. I'm
hoping it's not implemented.