Re: Solving the compression dilema when rsync-ing Debian versions

On 14 Jan 2001, Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

>      > Has rsync a option to turn off this compression? With this, the
>      > load should lower...
>
> man rsync:
>
>         -z, --compress              compress file data
>
> You gotta turn it on if wanted.

However, the -z option is specified by the *client*, but here we're
talking about the server's administrator being concerned by the load
generated by compression.  If you have clients who don't read
instructions (as if that would ever happen :-) and specify -z when
asked not to, then you should put

   dont compress = *

in the server configuration.  (Strictly, this does -z0 compression, so
the client thinks it's getting compressed data but the server doesn't
try very hard.)

--
Martin Pool, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990