Re: ITP: mkcramfs ... but how?

Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
>    Ben> Just pull the sources you need from the kernel tree and
>    Ben> create a tarball of it. More than likely just make it a
>    Ben> Debian native package (since there is no original upstream
>    Ben> tarball).
>
>Why a native package?
>
>Why not use the source extracted from the kernel tree as "pristine" source,
>apply any Debian specific diffs to that, and use the normal packaging
>mechanism?
>
>I would argue that is still is pristine source, even though you have
>to create the tar.gz archive manually.

Quite. For shaper I had to create the .orig.tar.gz manually because the
best upstream source I could find was a .src.rpm, but I'd claim that
barring the format change (and consequently matching md5sums not being
available, of course) it's still pristine source; it definitely
shouldn't be a native package.

I suppose I could use DBS and build-depend on rpm2cpio or something, but
I much prefer one-level diffs, and ultimately I'd rather see dpkg-source
able to unpack multiple upstream source formats. (What happened to that
proposal for a new source package format, by the way?)