Re: Packages' use of dpkg-statoverride

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 09:49:01AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Joey Hess wrote:
> > Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > It seems like statoverrides could use a flag to indicate whether they have
> > > been created by the user or the packaging system, or a notion of
> > > 'auto/manual' mode like the alternatives system.  That way, only
> > > package-created statoverrides would be removed on purge.
> >
> > Does seem useful.
>
> Doesn't seem useful to me: on purge we remove all traces of a package.
> That clearly includes statoverrides.

But dpkg doesn't currently do this:

mizar:/# dpkg-statoverride --list
root root 4755 /usr/sbin/pchar
mizar:/# dpkg --purge pchar
(Reading database ... 63471 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing pchar ...
mizar:/# !?list
dpkg-statoverride --list
root root 4755 /usr/sbin/pchar

This means that if a package tries to set up a statoverride for a user, but
they have created one manually, it gets removed when the package is purged.
However, if they simply create an override manually (one that the package
doesn't know about), it is persistent.  This is inconsistent behaviour.

--
 - mdz