Re: limitation in build-depends

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 07:45:48AM +0100, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

>      > On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 12:20:45AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>     >> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Julian Gilbey wrote:
>     >>
>     >> >...  > (NB It might be worth then putting a check into the
>     >> package build that > the correct library is installed.  You may
>     >> well have already done > this, though.)
>
> Normaly you use automake/autoconf and just insert a check for the
> library into the configure.in file. If neigther one nor the other
> library is installed, let the configure fail.
>
> If you don't have a configure file, just make one and copy the
> relevant stuff into the rules file, if you wish.

Absolutely.  But if you're specifying from the start that you should
be building the kb5 version, you should probably ensure that this
happens.

>     >> Why should he need this? libkrb5-dev conflicts with heimdal-dev
>     >> what means that if he Build-Depends on one of them the other
>     >> one won't be installed when compiling.
>
>      > But this assumes that the builder has taken the care to honour
>      > the Build-Depends line.  Better not to assume such stuff!
>
> Yes, DO assume such stuff. The autobuilder in action do and everything
> would break if not.
>
> If the autobuilder does not honor the Build-Depends, the package will
> not build. Autobuilder gets fixeds. Storry ends.

The autobuilder may be OK, but sometimes packages are built manually,
and we wouldn't want those to go wrong either.

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/