Re: limitation in build-depends

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 03:12:42PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Hello,
> The build-depends is limited when it comes to compiling a package
> based on a number of different and incompatible libraries.
> Take Kerberos for an example - it has two implementations MIT and
> Heimdal. Currently, this requires two separate source packages, in
> order to set the build-depends correctly. This is despite the fact
> that most of the code is exactly the same.
> [...]

So if you only have one source package, you would have to run the
debian/rules build rule *twice*, once for each different set of
installed libraries to make the binary packages.  My understanding of
the build system is that all binary packages are required to be built
from a single run of debian/rules build.  Otherwise craziness ensues
for the autobuilders.  I would recommend for these few isolated
instances that two separate (essentially identical) source packages
would be sensible.  If this starts becoming a common issue, it might
be worth investigating further.

(NB It might be worth then putting a check into the package build that
the correct library is installed.  You may well have already done
this, though.)

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/