Re: Kernel Sends 7E ?

Yes, this would be the wrong list.

I suppose you need to research the following:

0) Your email refers to a client server system, and mentions embedded dos,
a linux server, and a linux client.  So a client/server architecture has
two parts, and your system has three parts, an embedded DOS thing, a linux
server, and a linux daemon.  There's a problem right there.

1) What is the server program?  Who wrote it?  What happened when they ran
a debugger on it?  Why are you positive your daemon is not sending the 7E?
Did you run a complete strace on the thing and look at the log?

2) What is the embedded dos and who manufactured it?  What version?  What
do they think about all this?  Why can't it recover from a errors?

3) What communication hardware are you using?  RS-232?  Ethernet?  SCSI?

4) What communication protocols are your using? none?  TCP/IP?  SNA?

5) How exactly did you determine "a" 7E was appended (or do you mean 8
bytes of 7E?)  Do you mean appended at the physical layer, or the network
protocol layer?

6) Then of course you need to try some spare hardware.  Ideally you'd have
two completely separate systems (nothing connected between them) and both
failling the same way.  That would partially prove the hardware OK.

7) Then you'd need to try different manufacturers hardware to make sure its
not a bug in that model and manufacturer of network card or the serial
port.

8) Finally, there have been about one thousand versions of "the kernel"
since 1991.  So which version are you using and how (if at all) has it been
patched, and did you try to recompile a recent kernel and reproduce the
problem.

9) Then how did you isolate it to "Debian"?  Are you using a debian package
of some daemon?  Does your project even use Debian?

By the time you finish all that I'm sure you'll have found the problem.

                    "Derrick
                    (Thrawn01)"          To:     debian-devel@lists.debian.org
                    <derrick@carm        cc:     (bcc: Vince Mulhollon/Brookfield/Norlight)
                    ike.com>             Fax to:
                                         Subject:     Kernel Sends 7E ?
                    01/09/2001
                    10:14 AM

I'm not sure if this would be the correct List to post a question such was
this. but.

we use Linux as the server on a Embedded DOS client-server environment.
the devices running embedded Initiate a communication with the Linux
server. Our Daemon on the Linux box responds with
a single packet containing the Transaction information. directly after that
packet the Linux box sends a packet containing , 8 bytes,
( in hex ) " 7E".

The Embed DOS interprets this as a response from our daemon, resulting in a
miscommunication.
We are positive that our daemon is not sending the "7E" 's We believe that
it's originating from the Kernel.....

Anyone encountered this before ?
Any Direction or Thoughts would be greatly Appreciated.
This has been a Communiqué from
his Imperial Majesty Admiral Thrawn.
derrick@carmike.com