Re: Developer Behavior

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 09:52:25PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

> > 5) A Debian Developer will never knowingly run a production server on
> > "unstable" and will never encourage a non-developer to run "unstable".
>
> Tou want to forbid that:
> - I run unstable on a production server even if I know what I'm doing
> - I tell my best friend: "Unstable currently runs fine and if you want you
>   can give it a try."
>
> That would be the first time where Debian would try to regulate what I do
> in the time when I'm not working for Debian and at that point I would
> immediately leave Debian.

I'm no Debian Developer, but I've been running unstable on production
environments for about 3 years now.

And I sleep very well at nights, thank you very much.

I think you guys have gotten so used to Linux's rock solid stability and
Debian stable's total "we know all 15,000 packages play nice with each
other" solidity you've forgotten the rest of the IT world lives with
production service packs upgrades from source vendors that totally break
their OS environments(Windows NT service pack upgrades do that regularly).

Debian unstable(or testing), may not be distribution you want your heart
monitor to be running on when you're at the hospital, but it's far from
lacking production quality.

-Mark