Re: Obsolete software in /usr/local

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 08:23:29PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 03:49:07PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> > I've been meaning to bring this up for a while:
> > Why on earth was this change ever made?
>
> I can't speak for whoever made the change, but I suspect that it is
> because LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be used to support libraries in /usr/local/lib
> for programs in /usr/local/bin without messing up anything that ships with
> Debian.  Otherwise, there exists the possibility that the wrong library
> will be used.  This is especially of concern for developers, who may be
> putting things in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib to test before
> releasing a package.  We would not want their local libraries to be linked
> in official Debian packages.

That doesn't seem like an elegant explanation.  Wouldn't it make more
sense to have a script to make sure that a Debian package hasn't got
links to whacky non-standard libraries?

The current behaviour is rather non-intuitive, and, as Greg said, lots
of sysadmins will change it (after wasting time trying to find out
what's going on).

> In any event, looking in bugs.debian.org for the old bug that this change
> closed might give you more info than this rough guess.

The bug isn't there anymore.  Does anyone remember what it was?

--

Peter Eckersley
(pde@cs.mu.oz.au)
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pde

for techno-leftie inspiration, take a look at
http://www.computerbank.org.au/