Re: tar -I incompatibility

"Scott Ellis" <storm@stormcrow.org> wrote:
>Of course the -I option to tar was completely non-standard.  The
>changelog explains why it changed, to be consistant with Solaris tar.

I don't see the reasoning in the changelog, but I may just have missed
it.

>I'd prefer portability and consistancy any day, it shouldn't take that
>long to change any custom scripts you have.

Why not have portability, consistency, *and* backward compatibility?
Make -I an alias for -j, problem solved. Unless Solaris tar has -I as an
alias for -T - I suppose it must, as I can't think of any reason for
such a blatantly incompatible change.

>I always use long options for nonstandard commands when building
>scripts anyway :)

All the upstream tar people are doing is encouraging people to go back
to 'bzip2 -dc foo.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -', I think. And, hell, if you want
to be portable across Unixes you have to do that anyway.