[p@belial.ucdavis.edu: device3dfx-source]

When will people stop thinking owner@bugs is the ultimate address for
everything that has bugs in Debian? :)

----- Forwarded message from Peter Jay Salzman <p@belial.ucdavis.edu> -----

Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 22:54:29 +0100
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 13:48:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@belial.ucdavis.edu>
To: owner@bugs.debian.org
Subject: device3dfx-source

hello,

i have a question - i'm pretty new to debian, so i was hoping to get some
clarification on something.

i've had a really hard time getting the device3dfx-device to work.  i
finally downloaded the source package, compiled it and even THAT didn't
work.

i tried to contact the maintainer, steve haslam, twice.  no reply.

i made my way to a webpage of bug reports that debian keeps.  it
dawned on me what the problem was:

	#67254: device3dfx-source: won't work with 2.4.0-test2 and higher
			 Package: device3dfx-source; Reported by: Ryan Murray
	<rmurray@cyberhqz.com>; 110 days old.

bingo, i'm running 2.4.0 right now.  it didn't even occur to me that the
file operations table would be different (although now it seems obvious).
so i applied the patch and everything seems to work now.

it occurs to me that it would be simple to add the 2.4.0 patch, right now,
and have compilation based on source which depending on kernel version.

i understand there's a waiting list to become a debian maintainer.  debian
doesn't have to settle for someone who is unresponsive to questions from
users.  and judging from his reply to some of the reports on your bug
tracking system, he's pretty rude to people emailing him.

i would gladly take over this package, do a much better job, and reply to
people promptly.   look at the outstanding bugs:

240 days old.
189 days old
115 days old.
295 days old.
255 days old.

good grief!  why in the world is debian settling for a maintainer who cares
so little for his package?

pete

To err is human, to forgive is divine.      p@belial.ucdavis.edu     _
To oink is porcine, to meow is feline.    http://www.dirac.org/p    ._.
To neigh is equine to howl is lupine,                               /v\
To moo is bovine to bleat is ovine.                                // \\
  The best way to accelerate a win95 system is at 9.81 m/s^2       rules

----- End forwarded message -----