Re: Too Many Packages [was Re: Splitting locales...]

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 08:35:07AM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> Which changes nothing that I said. Directories are still going to be O(n)
> in total size, dselect is still going to be O(n) in memory, O(n log n) in
> sorting stuff. It's not a solution here.

Please, please, please read an algorithms book. Sorting strings of bounded
length is O(n).
c.f.
	Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming", Vol 3: "Sorting & Searching"
	Cormen, Leiserson, & Rivest, "Introduction to Algorithms"
	Baase, "Computer Algorithms: Introduction to Design & Analysis"

Look for "radix sort" and "bucket sort" in the indices in any of these
three books, and please, bear that information in mind when you post to
the list about the running time of sorting.

Bill