Re: Too Many Packages [was Re: Splitting locales...]

David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e516e.dhcp.okstate.edu> writes:

> As I said, this can't be fixed. If you have n packages, files/directories
> that have information on each package are going to be O(n) in size. Any
> program (dselect, console-apt) that needs to deal with all the packages
> is going to take O(n) memory for storage and O(n log n) for sorting the
> packages.

The solution is to split into directories named for the first letter
or letters of the package name.  Instead of "./libc" you'd have
./l/i/libc.

This is what most very large sites with a gajillion users (like MIT,
say) do with user home directories; my directory at mit is
/afs/athena/user/t/b/tb.

It would work fine here; the result is that you get a radix-sorted
arrangement that can be searched quickly.