Re: Too Many Packages [was Re: Splitting locales...]

In Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:39:58 -0500 David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e516e.dhcp.okstate.edu> cum veritate scripsit :
> As I said, this can't be fixed. If you have n packages, files/directories
> that have information on each package are going to be O(n) in size.
> It's not a problem of our package tools; it's innate in the problem.
> We may be in trouble sometime, but it doesn't mean we should give
> up now.

One workaround to this problem might be having a Packages.gz for each section,
make apt-lines point to the individual sections rather than Debian as a whole.
"section" might need arranging, but it would be workable, and possible to
do with the current tools.

Whether you want to do it is another matter.

Not many people who use High-Performance Computing will be using GNOME or
KDE on the same machine, and one using GNOME won't be using KDE,
and people doing Music Composition won't be doing much coding.

It should be possible to configure /etc/apt/sources.list in a "task-*" like
manner.

Testing this would be easy.
Just run dpkg-genpackages . /dev/null | gzip -c  > Packages.gz
on your local mirror, and put apt lines pointing to them.

Not that I have a local mirror to play with.

regards,
	junichi

--
University: ti0113@mail4.doshisha.ac.jp    Netfort: dancer@netfort.gr.jp