Re: Still exim problem

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 07:40:45PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <f.dinitto@seabone.net> wrote:
> >     sorry to annoy the list with another exim problem after the latest
> > upgrade.
>
> > This morning I got this error message:
>
> > /etc/cron.daily/exim:
> > Exim retry database in spool /var/spool/exim
> > Failed to open database file retry: Invalid argument
> > run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/exim exited with return code 1
>
> The new version of exim should delete/update all its database files
> since it is incompatible with them.

It isn't intended to be incompatible with them. As soon as anyone tells me
where I can find a library that works with libdb 1.85 files, I'll link exim
against it. There used to be one distributed with libc that did, but it
isn't included in the latest libc; libdb2 doesn't although it does implement
the 1.85 API.

If there really isn't any compatible library in debian any more, and this
lack isn't just a temporary oversight, then I guess I'll have to make an
exim package that deletes those databases when upgrading from an older
version (they're only hints anyway, so it's OK to delete them). And if
anyone has other data stored in 1.85 databases (many exim users use them for
all kinds of things such as lists of domains) that they can't rebuild then
they're screwed.