Re: dynamically linking debian packages?

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 02:17:46AM +0800, Evan Martin wrote:
> One user had a libxmms.so in /usr/lib that was a symlink to nowhere, and
> then a good install of XMMS in /usr/local/lib.  He claimed the old
> version worked fine, but the new version refused to use XMMS.

Obviously, ld's default library path included /usr/lib before
/usr/local/lib. You can't fix people's broken installations.

> Another user had apparently installed his XMMS libraries in /usr2/lib
> (yes, that's a 2 in there, don't ask me why).

Was that directory in his /etc/ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variable? If not, then I guess it's his/her error. I'd wonder how XMMS
starts for the user, even, considering it's linked to the library
dynamically. Oh, maybe it's not -- but then you just have another broken
installation to dismiss. :)

> (This problem also makes me think of all of the duplicated Debian
> packages compiled with different options... sometimes I wonder if it'd
> be better if Debian just had you compile them yourself.  But that's a
> question for a different time.)

There aren't that many, really... usually we attempt to do things
rationally, like in this case :)