Re: holding back the tide

    Bdale> adam@doogie.org (Adam Heath) writes:
    >> Bdale hates dbs, doesn't know what it is

    Bdale> I don't hate dbs.  I just get annoyed when packages with
    Bdale> complicated build-time patching schemes won't build.  My
    Bdale> sense is that each of these schemes increases the
    Bdale> probability of build-time failures by deferring work that
    Bdale> is done for most packages at the source package
    Bdale> construction time to the build time... but if the packages
    Bdale> are competently constructed and tested, I don't really care
    Bdale> how they're structured.

Has anyone ever considered packing dbs in a separate package?

That way:

1. all packages that use dbs automatically use the same version. There
is no need to worry about minor differences between different
versions.

2. extra tools can be added to help users do some of the more tedious
tasks.

3. packages can build-depends: dbs which clearly shows that the
package uses and requires dbs.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>