Re: What do you wish for in an package manager?

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 02:21:51PM -0500, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 09:52:47AM +0100, Sami Dalouche wrote:
> > If I had to change something in the Debian package manager, I would
> > like it to use bzip2 instead of gzip, but this doesn't need a
> > omplete reimplementation. The problem isn't technical, but it's been
> > debated many times. I don't exactly know the problem w/ this compression
> > except it saves time ;)
> > Anyway, if you think something isn't perfect, you can always help the
> > development of Dpkg, or apt.
>
> I think if dpkg used some sort of hashed database index it would be a hell
> of a lot nicer to people's CPUs and memory.  Whether or not that requires
> a re-implemenetation of dpkg or not isn't for me to say since I haven't
> looked at dpkg's code in 3 years.

personally the plain text database is one of dpkg's greatest assets.
its a royal pain to repair a binary database when it gets fscked.  and
yes i have already been saved from a total reinstall through the
ability to fix dpkg's broken database with a text editor.

if your talking about a different database then nevermind.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/