Re: What do you wish for in an package manager?

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 09:52:47AM +0100, Sami Dalouche wrote:
> If I had to change something in the Debian package manager, I would
> like it to use bzip2 instead of gzip, but this doesn't need a
> omplete reimplementation. The problem isn't technical, but it's been
> debated many times. I don't exactly know the problem w/ this compression
> except it saves time ;)
> Anyway, if you think something isn't perfect, you can always help the
> development of Dpkg, or apt.

I think if dpkg used some sort of hashed database index it would be a hell
of a lot nicer to people's CPUs and memory.  Whether or not that requires
a re-implemenetation of dpkg or not isn't for me to say since I haven't
looked at dpkg's code in 3 years.

* o-o always like debmake because he knew exactly what it would do...
<ibid> o-o: you would ;-)