Re: impossible to get off the list

I am not part of the Debian infrastructure team.  However, I have a good
guess as to the source of the problem.

The cruddy, slow, GUI based email program I use at work seems to imply your
reply to address is <steffl@bigfoot.com> but your email came from
esteffl@mta6.snfc21.pbi.net.  Or maybe its the other way around.  I hate
GUIs, they just make it harder.

Anyway, I do not think the mailling list program will let one email address
unsubscribe another.

Probably the easiest way to fix this is make sure your incoming address is
the same as the outgoing address.

----- Forwarded by Vince Mulhollon/Brookfield/Norlight on 12/21/2000 01:40
PM -----

                    Erik Steffl
                    <steffl@bigfoot.c        To:     debian-devel@lists.debian.org
                    om>                      cc:     (bcc: Vince Mulhollon/Brookfield/Norlight)
                    Sent by:                 Fax to:
                    esteffl@mta6.snfc        Subject:     impossible to get off the list
                    21.pbi.net

                    12/21/2000 01:18
                    PM

  so the rumour is true, it's impossible to get off this list (at least
for some of us). I have sent few unsubscribe messages and confirmation
messages but I am still receiving messages. At least some of the
unsubscribe messages were replied to by failure message saying that the
email was not found and then the list of approximate matches included
the very same email (I copy/pasted the email it was complaining about
and searched the email and found the email address in the list, just to
make sure I'm seeing straight). I have also sent email to
listmaster@lists.debian.org exaplaining the problem so far haven't heard
from him/her (it was yesterday and it's holiday season so it might still
be in queue).

  I have the same problem with debian-user but not with other debian
lists (I was able to unsubscribe from *changes*, other lists are low
volume and I didn't try to unsubscribe yet).

  any ideas what to try next? I would really like to get off these two
lists because I am going for 2+ weeks vacation and I don't want my
emails to bounce because of overflowed mailbox...

           erik