Re: impossible to get off the list

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 01:44:54PM -0600, Vince Mulhollon wrote:
> I am not part of the Debian infrastructure team.  However, I have a good
> guess as to the source of the problem.
>
> The cruddy, slow, GUI based email program I use at work seems to imply your
> reply to address is <steffl@bigfoot.com> but your email came from
> esteffl@mta6.snfc21.pbi.net.  Or maybe its the other way around.  I hate
> GUIs, they just make it harder.

If this really causes the problem then the crudest, most
technical solution I can think of is to use telnet directly to
the mail-server.

$ telnet lists.debian.org 25

If you do that, you can know for sure that no program is mangling
your return address.  You can (have to) specify all of the
headers yourself.

Need a quick run-down of SMTP?  Try
 http://vh224401.truman.edu/~dbindner/cs120/smtp.html

--