Re: testing to be implemented on ftp-master

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> Hello,

Hi Junichi,

> Having been using testing for quite a while, I'd like to comment.
>
> > The version in testing might be older than the version in stable (if you
> > e.g. upload a new package for 2.2r3 and the package from unstable never
> > makes it into testing).
>
> This problem can be avoided by adding an apt-line at both stable and
> testing.
>
> This requires a lot of downloading for "apt-get  update",
> but does work very well.
>
> A user-side workaround, yes.

that's a workaround for testing that works. But if testing gets frozen
that's a problem you have to resolve or 2.3r0 might contain packages that
are older than the ones in 2.2r3. One fix would be to check at every
upload to stable or frozen if the version uploaded is newer than the one
in unstable, and if yes to put the version put in stable/frozen in testing
without any delay. I don't know if something like this is already
underway, I yust wanted to point out that there are some things you must
take care of if you want to freeze testing instead of unstable.

> regards,
> 	junichi

cu,
Adrian