Release Goals for Woody? The trouble with "zen".

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 08:32:02AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> I'd like to know that we at least have some goals. We need SOMETHING
> to work towards.

That's true.  I have trouble defining for Debian Jr. what our release
goals for Woody are.  It goes something like this:

    Start with the highest priority stuff and work our way through to the
    lower priority stuff, hoping that all of the really essential
    things, and maybe a few of the 'not-essential-but-still-cool' things
    get in by the time Woody freezes.

Actually, I have a more detailed picture in mind as to what a "version 1"
of Debian Jr. will include, but I have no guarantee that this mental model
will be realized in Woody.  Now, if I knew just roughly what the project
had in mind for Woody, I'd be a little clearer on where Debian Jr. fits
in.  I still wouldn't have any guarantees, but at least I'd know what we
are shooting for.  I'd like to say "Debian Jr. version 1 *must* contain A,
B and C, *should* contain X, Y and Z, and *may* contain Q, R and S."  But
since Debian Jr. version one-point-oh's release is very much tied to
Woody's "zen" release, any such statement would be made on faith alone.

Ben