Re: XFree 4.0.1

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:57:26AM -0800, Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> was heard to say:
> >   Should it be considered a bug that upgrading X will silently clobber
> > non-debconf modifications to that file, replacing them with the debconf
> > values?  Or is this acceptable?
>
>   you can set debconf to either ask the same questions again and agan
> (and again...) or not. if you set it to not to ask old question it uses
> your former responses. at least that's what I think isa happening, I
> have it set up so that it asks old Qs again and it always asks if the X
> should be allowed to start by rootOnly/console/anybody.

  Well, yes, that's a reasonable explanation for how that value got there
(although I don't remember choosing it, I probably forgot or something)

  That wasn't the point of my message though, and maybe I shouldn't even have
mentioned it.

  What concerns me is that X then clobbered my settings because I didn't
go through debconf.  Is editing files in /etc with a text editor now
considered `pilot error'?  If this specific file isn't meant to be touched,
maybe a big "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE USE DEBCONF INSTEAD" message should be
put at the top?

  It just seems to me that Policy section #4.7.3 prohibits this, and rightly
so! -- but I thought I should check before filing yet another bug.

  Now that I looked, though, it seems that bug #79504 has already been opened
(although at a lower priority than I would've used for such an evil
policy violation), so I think I'll shut up :)

   Thanks,
  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|             "We've got nothing to fear but the stuff that we're             |