Re: Latest Mandrake

Evan Prodromou wrote:

>     EO(> I saw the latest beta of Mandarake last week, and I think it
>     EO(> surpasses Debian in terms of usability. The thing uses GRUB
>     EO(> for bootloading and gnome/kde has been nicely integrated into
>     EO(> their config tools. They use that drakconfig thing (which
>     EO(> looks like a linuxconfig frontend.. correct me if I'm wrong)
>     EO(> that works surprisingly well.
>
> I don't think you've picked up on what Mandrake does REALLY WELL,
> which is hardware detection and management.

Good point! Am I the only one here who got stuck with the ultra-sucky
alsa and had to try out a million things to get his sound card
working, or editing stupid XFree86 config files and read lots of crap
to get a third button working?

I think progeny did some work to that end, but it's still not incorporated
into debian it seems.

> If you want a smooth, sexy install of Linux, try installing
> Mandrake. It's just really about the most sensual experience I've ever
> had installing an OS. Everything is autodetected so I don't HAVE to
> tinker if I don't want to, but if I want to I can muck with every
> little detail to my hacker's heart's content.
>
> Seriously, everyone should try installing Mandrake, just to get a feel
> for what it SHOULD be like.

Hmm. The startup/shutdown screens kind of suck, but apart from that it looks
nice. And way more stable and complete than Red Hat.

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr