Re: menu-policy: education

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 07:04:05PM +0100, Tom Cato Amundsen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 10:50:57AM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> > I am in the process of packaging kvoctrain. THis is a vocabulary trainer. As
> > Far as I know there is no fitting category for this. I propose the new
> > category 'education' for this kind of stuff.
> >
> Mii too ...
>
> solfege will fit nice there.
>
> > THis would give debian the edge to be suited for children and to support
> > educational purposes. Obviously it is ideal for schools! (c:

Not to mention 'typist', 'tipptrainer', 'gcompris' ...  Probably a whole
host of things that will be coming at Debian from Debian Jr.'s quarter.
In some cases it could be argued that these belong in 'games'.  But where
the primary goal of the game is to teach a skill rather than just to
amuse, I feel 'education' may be more appropriate, e.g. 'mathwar' is a
flash-card game.

Furthermore, we are not alone in wanting to create a section devoted to
education.  The FSF is working on a new 'education' section and will be
producing a page on their website shortly (it's not quite finished yet).

Therefore I strongly support the creation of an education section, not
just in the menu, but in the ftp archives.

This is not a new idea.  There was a lengthy discussion in April
last year starting here:

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-9904/msg00592.html

And indeed, one package has already been put in "Apps/Educational":

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-9904/msg00683.html
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-9904/msg00697.html
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-9904/msg00699.html

The problem is, this section has apparently not been formalized in
policy yet.

I couldn't find anything in the archives of debian-policy about an
education section proposal.

Ben