Re: cleaning up our task packages

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 03:49:13PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Ben Collins wrote:
> > Maybe we need a way to define subtasks so we get output like:
> >
> >  [ ] LDAP			: LDAP libraries, server and clients
> >      [ ] LDAP Devel		: LDAP Development libraries
> >      [ ] LDAP Server		: LDAP Server
> >      [ ] LDAP Tools		: LDAP Utilities
> >      [ ] LDAP Name Service	: LDAP NSS and PAM for Name Service
>
> I'm strongly reminded of the installshield handles this. Basically
> it only gives you the toplevel options, and for each you can click on
> `details' and toggle sub-options.

Same for the MacOS Vise Installer (which I like better than InstallShield,
BTW). IMO, this was the general idea behind package sections, but that is
long over-lived for our purposes.

I just don't want tasksel to fall to the same fate. We need an all
emcompasing selection GUI that is irregardless of the archive format
(which currently, task-* packages does) and can be used by newbies and
hardcore's alike.