Re: cleaning up our task packages

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 09:09:35PM +0200, Arto Jantunen <viiru83@mbnet.fi> was heard to say:
> Aptitude has the cool tree-like thingie, but it just doesn't "feel right"
> (again, the version in potato).

  I know this is hard, but do you have any idea what doesn't "feel right"? :)

> What I would like to do is to write yet another tool
> like these.

  That's a fair bit of work; PLEASE consider contributing to aptitude (or capt,
or even dselect) if you just want a better tree layout.  <PLUG> It's very easy
in my codebase to add a new way of grouping packages (you just have to write a
little class -- you don't really even need to know much about the rest of
the code) </PLUG>

  If you want to learn how to write apt frontends, that's fine, but otherwise
you'll have to do a lot more work to get to the point where you can fix the
stuff you want to fix, and you might even find that you never get to it for a
long time. (speaking from experience)  Starting with an existing project will
let you get there a lot quicker.

  Also, even if you write your own, you may want to look at a discussion
recently here where a lot of exotic ideas about organizing packages were tossed
about.  Check out the thread "Misclassification of Packages" from the beginning
of October.

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|                  "When you have heard a joke, you have a                    |