glibc 2.2 bug (was Re: Apache 1.3.12-2.2 + PHP4-4.0.3pl1-5)

* Terry Katz (katz@advanced.org) wrote:

>   Just upgraded to Apache 1.3.12-2.2 .. It seems to be having problems with
> PHP4 (4.0.3pl1-5)..
>
>   If I try to start apache with php4 loading with all extensions enabled, it
> crashes on start with an error
>
> 	apache: dl-close.c:122: _dl_close: Assertion 'new_opencount[0] == 0'
> failed.

I've also filed this bug as #77170 against libc6.  Petr Vandrovec
<vandrove@vc.cvut.cz> followed up to my report and noted that he
has tracked it down to the new dynamic library code which went in to
glibc 2.1.96.  He followed it up with Ulrich Drepper, who wanted smaller
test cases than Petr was able to supply.  I've spent some time looking
for small test cases also, and reported this case to Drepper:

        $ ./x /usr/lib/libungif.so /usr/lib/libimlib-gif.so
        /usr/lib/libungif.so loaded, no symbol requested
        /usr/lib/libimlib-gif.so loaded, no symbol requested
        Segmentation fault (core dumped)

(where ./x is the program Petr wrote, here:
<http://www.geocrawler.org/archives/3/360/2000/11/100/4638571/>, which
dlopen() and dlclose()s the libraries given on the command line).

Drepper replied straight back that he wasn't going to find the problem
for me, and that unless I could give him a C program which demonstrates
the problem (I thought that's what Petr and I had done!), nothing was
going to happen.  This strikes me as an odd response to a bug report,
but hey, I don't know anything about what Ulrich Drepper's like.

If anyone is interested in following this up, Petr's exchange with
Ulrich is archived here under the subject "New dynamic loader[...]":
<http://www.geocrawler.org/archives/3/360/2000/11/100>.  I'm willing to
help with any effort to find a smaller test case (presumably self-
contained), but I don't have the understanding of glibc 2.2 to expect to
find and fix the bug myself.

Tim.
--
Tim Bell - bhat@trinity.unimelb.edu.au - System Administrator & Programmer
    Trinity College, Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria, 3052, Australia