Re: RFC: planning bunch of wishlists for menu hints

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:49:29AM -0500, joost witteveen wrote:
> > At last using the "hints" mechanism I have managed to get a
> > pretty usable Apps/Net and a IMHO better Apps/Math with the
> > following hints:
>
> I would love you if you did that!
> Programming the hints was a lot of work, and till now
> I don't know of anyone who is actually using it:(
> (There have been people I know that tried it, and some
> that said it was nice, but nobody that actually _used_ it).

Hey, you didn't look in the right places !

~[502]$ grep -l hints /usr/lib/menu/* | wc -l
grep: /usr/lib/menu/default: est un répertoire
     82
~[503]$ grep hints /usr/lib/menu/* | wc -l
grep: /usr/lib/menu/default: est un répertoire
     112

But well, most of them are "KDE" and "Gnome":

~[508]$ grep hints /usr/lib/menu/* | grep -vE '(KDE|Gnome)'
grep: /usr/lib/menu/default: est un répertoire
/usr/lib/menu/craft:  hints="Multi-Player,Real-Time"
/usr/lib/menu/ding:     hints="Text,Translation,Dictionary,German,English"
/usr/lib/menu/lxdoom-x11:  title="LxDoom" hints=Doom,3D
command="/usr/games/lxdoom"
/usr/lib/menu/rxvt:   hints="Clocks"    \
/usr/lib/menu/xbase-clients: hints="Clocks"\
/usr/lib/menu/xbase-clients: hints="Clocks"\
/usr/lib/menu/xbase-clients: hints="Clocks"\
/usr/lib/menu/xfig:     hints="Drawing,Vector"

> > If noone objects, I'll send a massive number of wishlist
> > items for those.
>
> Maybe to get the hints thing going in Debian, I would have
> to include a couple in /usr/lib/menu/default again
> (like I did all at the beginning with the menus generally).
> If you agree, could you send me the /tmp/hints.tar.bz2 file

OK.  I'll first wait for any feedback, then update my settings, and then
send them to you in the same time I post the reports.

> >  Obviously it will be better to have a normative list of such
> > hints as part of the menu sub-policy.
>
> Sure. I guess your list will be the default norm:)

Eh eh...  Since your reply is still the only one till now, it may well be :}

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
debian-email:   <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux:
http://ydirson.free.fr/             | Check <http://www.debian.org/>