Re: Our Most Precious Resource: Programmer Time (was Re: long term goals)

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 09:08:12PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On 2000-12-04 10:57, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> >According to Jason Gunthorpe:
> >>
> >> Aye.. I think the `barrier to entry` is also rising, all the cheezy little
> >> apps seem to have been done to death and then some.  It is rarer and rarer
> >> that you can sit down and write something worthwhile and be done in a
> >> month.
> >
> >Good point.  Sounds like something ESR probably covered in his
> >"Homesteading the Noosphere" essay.

See also Philip Greenspun's article "Managing Software Engineers" at
www.arsdigita.com/asj/sorry_I_don't_have_full_url.  It was also
featured on /. maybe a month ago.  That article addresses exactly
the same issues.  I'm not sure the Free Software people are any more
tapped out or unmanagable than the paid software people.

cfm