Re: Our Most Precious Resource: Programmer Time (was Re: long term goals)

According to Jason Gunthorpe:
> On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > There are a lot of good programmers.  But that resource -- *us* -- is
> > close to exhaustion.  The Free Software and/or Open Source movements
> > are being spread very, very thin by user demands and our own
>
> Aye.. I think the `barrier to entry` is also rising, all the cheezy little
> apps seem to have been done to death and then some.  It is rarer and rarer
> that you can sit down and write something worthwhile and be done in a
> month.

Good point.  Sounds like something ESR probably covered in his
"Homesteading the Noosphere" essay.

> There also seems to be an increase in lower skilled people - this is
> important becauase you just can't expect stunning efficiency out of
> inexperiancied people.

Of course not.  That's why I'm not discussing the inexperienced.  I'm
discussing how to make the experienced more productive in less time.

> I strongly suspect that a novice programmer is less likely to make a huge
> mess of a project in C than in a more complex language like C++ or Perl.

Messy projects are bad.  But labor-intensive, memory-leaking,
stack-overflowing programs are much, much worse.

> I don't expect to wake up tomrrow and find that people are moving
> away from C - GNOME/GTK seems to be the banner example of this kind
> of thinking :<

KDE may help.
--
Chip Salzenberg            - a.k.a. -            <chip@valinux.com>
   "Give me immortality, or give me death!"  // Firesign Theatre