Re: long term goals of debian membership

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 08:33:41AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> etc..). If all a developer will ever do is maintain their one package, not
> subscribe to any of the lists for developer discusssion, never "poke his
> head into the project", then they might aswell just use a sponsor.

I'd like to point out that the New Maintainer's Guide says in section
1.2

****
In Debian, the term `maintainer' is used for the person who makes
packages, `upstream author' for the person that made the program, and
`upstream maintainer' for the person who currently maintains that
program, outside of Debian. Usually author and the upstream maintainer
are the same person - and sometimes even the maintainer is the same
person. If you made a program, and want it to get in Debian, feel free
to submit your application to become a maintainer.

After you build your package (or while doing that), you will have to
become an official Debian maintainer if you wish your program to get
into the next distribution (if the program is useful, why not?). That
process is explained in Developer's Reference.  Please read it.
***

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org