Re: long term goals of debian membership

> Can you define to me the responsibilties?
> They're not saying "I want to be king Debian package maintainer, but I only
> want one package". They have their own section, they keep to themselves,
> they do one thing and do it well, they're not overloaded, they're happy, and
> will probably ease into more. They shouldn't have to be the GNU Emacs of
> developers. I just think you're wrong on this, being a Debian maintainer
> doesn't imply that you _have_ to take up x amount of packages to be
> effective; you'd probably be most effective on one or two packages.

Ok, you've gone on for 4 or so emails about this, and it is reallt getting
annoying because you are harping on "# of packages" as a guideline, when
it isn't.

Being a developer means (in no certain order of priority, and this is my
personal list):

- You take part in discussions important to the Project (DPL, policy that
  you have knowledge of, future directions for the project, etc...).

- You keep up with policy as it pertains to your package. Meaning you make
  an active effort to follow policy and not wait for bug reports before
  you change them.

- You actively track bug reports on your packages, fix them, close them,
  reply to them, etc...

- You try to help out in other areas as time permits, with things like
  documentation, ports, boot-floppies, installer project, RC bug list,
  helping other developers who may need advice in your area of expertise.

This list is by no means complete. The thing is, we cannot know that a
person will do these things if we give them maintainership quickly, and
without some sort "credentials" (current activities in the project,
etc..). If all a developer will ever do is maintain their one package, not
subscribe to any of the lists for developer discusssion, never "poke his
head into the project", then they might aswell just use a sponsor.

Maybe later that developer can decide that they do want to become a
developer, but I don't think there is any case where developership is
needed immediately, before doing anything.

IMO, we need an organized sponsorship program that gives priority to
packages that are on the QA list (orphaned).