Re: ITP: ripperx -- a GTK-based cdparanoia/mp3 encoder frontend

** On Dec 04, Erik Steffl scribbled:
[snip]
> > > This package is admittedly a lot like grip, but IMO is much nicer.  It's
> > > slated for main since you don't actually have to have an encoder with it
> > > for it to be useful; you can rip audio to .wav using the cdparanoia
> > > plugin.
> >
> > Perhaps you could do what abcde did, and have it use vorbis by
> > default, since it's free? (vorbis-tools package)
>
>   last time I've heard vorbis is not ready yet, I don't remember
> details, there was something about what needs to be done for vorbis to
> be the same quality as mp3. that was the position of vorbis developers.
> what's the state of vorbis now?
I have just re-encoded 3 CDs of some music using Vorbis - the quality (with
-b 192) is amazing (as you know, all vorbis bitstreams are VBRs actually).
Encoding takes much more time, but space-wise there's always some gain. All
in all, I think it's ready for "production".

regards,
marek
--
Visit: http://caudium.net - the Caudium WebServer