Re: Our Most Precious Resource: Programmer Time (was Re: long term goals)

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 10:12:06PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > => Chasing C back to the systems programming niche from whence it came. <=
>
> Yes, well, this isn't all so cut and dry.
>
> I strongly suspect that a novice programmer is less likely to make a huge
> mess of a project in C than in a more complex language like C++ or Perl.
> (Python and others seem to make this hard, but I wonder how much that is
> lack of usage..)
>
> How many worthwhile projects sit on the shelf because the code for the
> current version is good enough to solve the problem, but so horrible that
> changing it in generally infeasable (the cost of making changes is on the
> order of rewriting it time wise) due to poor implementation?

Comparing C to Ada (because that's what I'm familar with), I think some
of the problems with horrible C code are amorilated by Ada. In specific,
trading a prepocessor for a true package structure is a huge win.
Killing macros entirely for inline procedures and generics is another
great improvement in readibilty. You can't put two procedures in a file
without nesting one or making a package. While Ada isn't garbage
collected, because of how it treats arrays, there's a lot less need for
the memory management. I think as much as a programming language can,
Ada (and probably Java and Eiffel and Modula-3 and other languages) help
discourage huge messes and encourage structed programs.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org