Reappearing Directories?

Hi. a friend of mine has run into this problem numerous times on debian,
and i'm trying to figure out how it could have happened...

first, i'd like to point out that he's really psycho about having
unnecessary files not exist.

Anyway, he claims that /etc/ppp was being RECREATED every time he did an
'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' ... whether or not the packages
that would seem to have used it were installed/upgraded.

Unfortunately, he did not, at the time, check with dpkg -S to see what
package it was in. however, the curious part is the claim that apt/dpkg
recreated it every time they were run (even if no packages were
installed/upgraded).. my question is, is this possible? how could it be
that every time he used apt, he'd get a shiny new /etc/ppp ?

I can't recreate the occurence on my own computer, so i'm unsure of how it
happened. But, does anyone know how this could be?

I've placed a copy of our conversation on irc about the occurance at:
http://www.xanthor.net/~eyez/irc_log_dpkg_ppp_recreating.txt

(on a side note, this is more because i want to find out how this could
have happened. my friend is now using slackware, but he blames the
reoccurance on package management systems altogether. i'm trying to find
proof of how it could have happened, or anything like that to try make him
not hate Packaging so much. ;)

   < <"What Am I Doing? I'm Quietly Judging You." --Frank TJ Mackey> >
  <         <Rando Christensen / An illuzion worth believing>         >
 <  <illuzionz@xanthor.net>  <eyez@xanthor.net>  <eyez@fragments.net>  >