Re: shared NFS systems

* "Norbert Veber"

| Sounds useful.  Do you know of a kerberos howto or some similar document out
| there?  I didnt see anything of the like in /usr/share/doc/HOWTO

Nope, but from "having never touched kerberos" to "having some
kerberos stuff up and running" didn't take me more than a couple of
hours.  There is some documentation with the heimdal packages, though
I found it a bit short on details.

| Although even with this aproach, the files travel the network in plain text,
| I was amazed at the lack of options while searching for a secure nfs-like
| solution for unix.  I looked into coda, and I still have nightmares about it
| at times.

You can run coda with kerberos - I've got some patches which are
needed to get it to compile with heimdal.  AFS (now that that's free)
might be the way to go (even though Coda is a development of AFS).  Or
you could do ugly hacks like NFS-over-ppp-over-ssh.  Or less bad hacks
like using freeswan.

At least what I've found out is that there isn't any good solutions.
Bascially, all I want is NFS over some encrypted channel.
NFS-over-SSL would be cool. :)

No, I did _not_ volunteer.

--

Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.