Re: woody machine available?

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Ingo Saitz wrote:

> MoiN

... translation, please!

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 04:53:18PM -0500, Steve Robbins wrote:
> > According to db.debian.org/machines.cgi, none of the debian machines are
> > running on woody.  Presumably the "build-daemon" machines are running
> > woody; where are they?  Perhaps there is a chroot environment available?
>
> If you have spare 100-200MB available (that's not much today),
> just set up your own chroot environment. Unpack the base2_2.tgz
> from the potato installation and chroot there. Change
> sources.list and /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, mount /proc and
> dist-upgrade to woody.

True enough, I could do that.  And I just did.

I was hoping that someone had already done this on a debian machine, thus
saving me the bother.  :-)

On the other hand, doing on my own machine has the advantage that I'm
root, so I can mess around with installing and de-installing packages.

On my third hand, I can only do this for the one architecture I have
handy.  In the (perhaps unlikely) event that I wanted to debug on some
other architecture, it would be fantastic to have some chrooted
environments handy.  [I'm sure the debian machine maintainers have
a lot of time on their hands and could easily fit this in .... <ducking
and running>]

Cheers,
-Steve