Re: 9menu failing

[Erik Steffl - Sat,  2 Dec 2000 02:24:29 PM CST]
}   this package cannot be upgraded or removed because it fails with
} message:
}
} dpkg (subprocess):  unable to execute post-installation script: Exec
} format error
}
}   the problem seems to be missing #!/bin/sh -e line at the beginning of
} scripts for this package.
}
}   there are already two bugs filed for this problem for 9menu, one of
} them is closed as fixed (shouldn't the other be fixed aswell? is there
} any way to 'merge' the bugs if they refer to same bug?),

I forgot to merge the bugs.  (Unless it's one of the QA members'
responsibilities to merge the bugs.  I'm still a bit fuzzy on this
area.)

} the date is nov
} 28, but it still fails (I last downloaded packages on dec 2, about 1:00
} AM).

I don't know what you mean by 'last downloaded packages'; do you mean
that you did an 'apt-get update' (to update package lists) or that you
manually downloaded the new 9menu debian package, or that you only
did an 'apt-get install 9menu' without the 'apt-get update', or any
combination of the above?

If you use apt (apt-get etc):
First, update your list of packages:

    apt-get update

Then, tell apt to install 9menu like usual.

    apt-get install 9menu

You'll probably see output like:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/9782B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
        (in cleanup) Can't call method "DESTROY" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Question.pm line 151 during global destruction.
(Reading database ... 9466 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace 9menu 1.4-10 (using .../9menu_1.4-10.1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute old pre-removal script: Exec format error
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: ... it looks like that went OK.
Unpacking replacement 9menu ...
Setting up 9menu (1.4-10.1) ...

which looks bad, but it's okay.  The fixed version (1.4-10.1) will fix
everything (no errors after the new 9menu is set up).

If you don't use apt:
Download the latest version of the 9menu deb.  This should be
9menu_1.4-10.1_i386.deb.

Then, install the downloaded package manually with dpkg:

    dpkg -i 9menu_1.4-10.1_i386.deb

Likewise, you may see similar output as mentioned above, but it should
be okay.

} Is it still somewhere in the process of getting into distribution?
} Is there a way to check the current status of package? I mean if the new
} version was uploaded but is not available yet etc...

It's available.

--
An Thi-Nguyen Le