Re: kernel-package or kernel bug???

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Paul Slootman wrote:

> On Thu 30 Nov 2000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >
> > 	It is installed by the kernel Makefile. And not all packages
> >  are meant to be installed on other computers -- I routinely compile
> >  and install my own kernel image modules, and I have a suspicion that
> >  I am not alone.
>
> If you have a number of similar systems (e.g. a server park),
> it's perfectly sensible to make a kernel-image package only
> on one system, and install that on all the systems. I don't
> see much sense in having a symlink on all of them that only
> works on one system (if the other systems can live with the
> link being broken, why need the link anyway?).

The link is useful when you work with kernel related stuff and that you
want to use the correct include (not the ones used for the glibc
compilation). With this new symlink, you can use
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include.
  This is very convenient for this kind of use, and for other people, this
is just a symlink that can point nowhere. I hope it will not be removed
from the .deb.

  Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean                         tel + 33 4 72 72 85 47
Projet CNRS-INRIA ReMaP                 fax + 33 4 72 72 80 80