Re: matrox g450 dual-head

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 10:46:02PM +0100, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> Thanks. Is there a place where one could find (and read) the story
> behind this magic, so I don't have to ask all these stupid questions.
> Feels like I need to know more (xf86 3.3.6/4.0.x + matrox dual-head
> graphic cards) before I ask more and waist peoples time. Pointers?

I've got it working on my G400 dual head. The binary driver can
be downloaded from Matrox's web site. It's a new mga_drv.o to replace
the one supplied by xserver-xfree86. It works fine on Debian.

One annoying thing though is that the pixel clock on the second
head is limited to 110MHz by the driver. My second monitor is
a fixed frequency monitor requiring 1280x1024, which needs a dot
clock of > 110 MHz. Fortunately that 110 constant is in the
open-source part of Matrox's driver, so I just changed it and
recompiled.

I've also noticed that some of the xscreensaver screen savers
crash the X server; when using the XFree86 original mga_drv.o,
they just generate error messages instead.

Hamish