Re: dpkg-statoverride vs. suidmanager

Previously Robert Luberda wrote:
> Maybe this could be done by suidregister itself?

No, a package needs to be aware of the change so it doesn't continue
using suidregister.

> Next version of suidmanager may convert user's overrides from /etc/suid.conf
> file to statoverride in its postinst and suidregister should be just a
> wrapper, which calls dpkg-statoverride internally.

Packages don't need to do anything at all anymore.

> BTW. Probably only the local user's changes should be converted to
> statoverride database. Package setings (these from postinst scripts)
> should be still handled by suidmanager.

You're misunderstanding how it works I think. With suidmanager you have
to register the default setting as well and explicitly call it in the
postinst. With statoverrides that isn't needed since dpkg will apply
the overrides automatically during package unpacking.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@cistron.nl                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |