Re: dpkg-statoverride vs. suidmanager

Ben Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 06:06:22PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Now that we have dpkg-statoverride, how should setuid binaries be handled?
> > Should new packages continue to use suidmanager?  Should the binaries be
> > shipped setuid, giving the user the option to use a statoverride?
>
> Ship them with the default that suits the binary, and allow users to
> override that. Usually, now that we have statoverride, it is ok to ship
> suid, but that's particular to the program.

I think there are still questions about how to transition a package from
suidregistered binaries to statoverridden binaries. After all, you don't
want whatever the user did with suidregister to be forgotten when they
upgrade..

If anyone figures this out, debhelper will start magically using
statoverride instead of suidregister for everything.

--
see shy jo