Re: dpkg-statoverride vs. suidmanager

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 06:37:29PM -0800 , Joey Hess wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Joey Hess wrote:
> > > What if such a package is upgraded using an older version of dpkg
> > > though?
> >
> > The preinst will bomb since dpkg-statoverride either doesn't exist
> > or will abort due to an illegal option. The
>
> I was assuming the preinst had reasonably smart checks for that.

so if it checks, then all you need to do is NOT convert, when you encounter an
old dpkg, so

> > > So the only choice I can see is to require that all such packages that used
> > > to use suidregister have a versioned dependancy on dpkg.
> >
> > pre-dependency even.
>
> Ugh, you're right.

you won't need them. the package will just continue to use suidregiesr until
dpkg and after that this package is upgraded.

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.