Re: Improving install partitioning

On Wed 29 Nov 2000, Jan Martin Mathiassen wrote:

> cfdisk *is* close to what we want, altho there are a few mods we should do
> before we put it back into the install system. first off, i suppose we
> should have the predefined partition setups. then, we should have an
> advanced option, where the user can say "i want /etc to be mounted on that
> harddisk, and i want it to be x mb". lastly, it should write the fstab
> (vfstab? i haven't checked) file, so we can all run along merrily :) the

vfstab is the Solaris (actually, SysVr4) name. Linux has fstab.

> package setup part of the installation is sort of what i have in mind,
> actually...

I've once hacked up a partitioning utility which you can tell
"I want partitions of 16MB, 64MB (swap), 500MB, and the rest of free space".
It did this non-interactively; I used this in a script on a bootable
cdrom to be able to quickly install a non-trivial number of pc's. I did
an installation once, made tar.gz dumps of /, /usr and /var and put
those on the cdrom. I used the cute Linuxcare "bootable business card"
as a base for my install cdrom (as it's pretty darn useful). The
installation is done in about 5 minutes...

I couldn't find any existing tool that was as easy to use
non-interactively to do this, which is why I wrote it. I don't know
if it's suitable for general comsumption; I guess I could put it up
somewhere for people to look at (when I get home, in about 7 hours'
time).

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/